Tuesday 11 August 2009

Issues with Humpty.

I have a gazillion old children's books and just love to pour over them, I get such inspiration from them. HOWEVER sometimes I find an image that just spooks me out - like this Humpty.... It's something to do with the size of his head in proportion to his body - it's just.....wrong. I'm glad he fell off and never got put back together - I hope he was pushed actually. And this Moonman - he seems just too pointy -on reflection his face isn't bad - kind of sweet, old mannish - but again it's the head size - disproportionate I say! HOWEVER I absolutely love these two. Presently I think most people associate Tweedle Dee & Dum with Alice in Wonderland - but they existed long before Mr. Carol incorporated them into his stories. Personally I think this pair are far prettier than the Disney depiction - don't you?
TTFN xxxxx
PS - Thank You everyone for your GREAT advice on the last post - you inspire me - as always. AND A BIG WELCOME TO MY NEW FOLLOWERS!!!!

9 comments:

  1. Well, I really agree with you about those illustrations. Quite a lot of childrens' illustrations from the past have been rather bizzare to modern eyes, haven't they? Equally, I suppose, newer pics would look very strange to the earlier illustrators.

    Your Tweedledum and Tweedledee are much nicer than the Lewis Carrol ones - I had no idea that they weren't his invention.

    I have rediscovered my vintage Flower Faries books recently - I think they are my favourite childrens' illustrations (plus Little Grey Rabbit, actually).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Humpty is very scary! Certainly not fit for bedtime reading it would give the kiddies nightmares.
    I do love the Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee illustration though!
    Beki xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children's illustrations are so fun and sometimes scary. I must admit, that Humpty is a bit top heavy! I appreciate your comment on my post today. If you'd like, just do your Wizard of Oz post on the day before. I wouldn't want to get in the way of your camping trip. Have a nice week! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. humpty is so creepy looking! i completely agree! another random thing I find to be scary is the "Quaker Oats" man on all the boxes LOL. seriously, look at him. scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, that Humpty is definitely scary.Love the tweedle dee and dum though, so cute!I love The Mrs Pepperpot stories, she was so cute!
    Rachel X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very scary humpty indeed...I'll be waking in the middle of the night thinking of that face!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby has just seen the moonman and reckons that the points are so sharp so that he can spear children on them to devour later! he has rather a strange soh....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winston is on my lap as I read. Thanks! I want to know what you decide to do with you illustrations. I found a wonderful child's book cover that I used as a centerpiece to a collage. You could find a cute head and.....voila...a transplant! julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmmmm that Humpty Dumpty is a little bit strange looking!!!

    Victoria xxx

    ReplyDelete